20 February 2009

Today is the day...sort of...

Here we are! It's Cheeto's due date. While we didn't expect Cheeto to arrive by today, I think a little part of us hoped he or she would be here by now. To celebrate 40 weeks, we had a doctor's appointment this morning. Everything is fine with me. I'm about 4 cm dilated and 70 to 80 percent effaced, which is good! But the baby is still a little high. This could be due to my short stature or to the fact that Cheeto won't fit in the birth canal. Let's hope it's the former! The doctor had a problem finding a steady heartbeat for Cheeto, so she did a non-stress test. They hooked me to up to some monitors and watched Cheeto's heartbeat and my contractions. (I think Chris enjoyed watching the monitor!) If the doctor wasn't happy with Cheeto's heartbeat, she was going to send us to the hospital for some more monitoring and possibly an induction. Thank goodness she was pleased with the results. As much as I want to meet Cheeto, I really want to avoid an induction! So all is well for now. We'll go back to the doctor Monday afternoon for another non-stress test and an ultrasound. The doctor will be checking to make sure Cheeto is "comfortable." If that's the case, we can wait up to two weeks before having an induction. If the doctor discovers anything else or if we have the same problems with the heartbeat, I'll probably have to be induced. It seems like Cheeto is pretty comfortable and may not come on his or her own. (Would you want to leave such a warm, quiet and cozy place?!) We're still hoping Cheeto comes on his or her own this weekend! :o)

3 comments:

Sarah @ Thrifty Decor Chick said...

Good to hear! Being induced isn't that bad at all, at least it wasn't for me. It depends on the person. I quite liked it actually! I hope you don't have to wait two more weeks! Glad you are doing well.

Rocket Ma'am said...

Keep on truckin'!
Since your are 4 cm, I'll place my bet on contractions starting Monday afternoon, born early Tuesday morning (Feb 24th). 7 lbs 9 oz.

Corie said...

Wow, I hope you don't have to wait two more weeks! The waiting is the worst part! :o) But don't stress too much over being induced, if that's what's in fact what happens. It's not too bad if you're ready...and if you're 4 cm and 70-80% effaced, I think your body's getting ready! :o) Hope Cheeto stays comfy and safe, but not for too much longer! Good luck! Can't wait to hear of his/her entrance into the world!